Friday 30 November 2012

Signs and English

Usually - in fact almost always - I get irritated by posts that poke fun at strange English.  In most cases it's nice that they made the effort in the first place. (My generous spirit usually doesn't extend to places like the Edo Tokyo Museum which should have someone paid to being doing the job properly.)  
These two I did get a chuckle from.
The Tama Cemetery (nicely called Soul Garden) which is probably
a pretty apt description of the Japanese notion of a cemetery.

Hair Oops... say no more...
I've been going  past it for years and it's still going strong -
I guess not as many Oops happening there as the name suggests.

3 comments:

allrite said...

Not sure that "Heartful English" is a great title for an English school.

SomedaysSarah said...

I completely and utterly and totally agree with you about the Edo-Tokyo Museum. It annoys and disgusts and disappoints me all at the same time. Sigh.

I love the imagery of a "soul garden" sounds cheery!

Cecilia said...

Allrite, you are quite right, my cynicism about poor English extends to English schools and companies with headquarters in English speaking countries.

I need to work out how to make my hyperlinks look hyperlinked. A fair fair assessment of Edo Tokyo - what a waste of potential...